A name from Taiwan's 18th-century frontier.
Tuniu Elementary School began as a branch school in 1921, taking its independent name in 1945. Its campus was reconstructed in phases from 1991 to 2003 following damage from the 921 earthquake. The school's name, "Tuniu" (土牛, "earthen ox"), refers to the Qing-dynasty earthen mounds built to mark the boundary between Han Chinese settlement and Indigenous territory — one of Taiwan's most concrete surviving traces of the 18th-century frontier line that once ran through the district.
土牛國小於民國10年(1921年)以分校形式設立,1945年正式定名。校舍因921大地震受損,於1991年至2003年間分階段重建。校名「土牛」指的是清代為劃分漢人聚落與原住民領域界線而築造的土牛溝遺跡,是台灣現存最具體的18世紀邊界線痕跡之一,這條界線曾貫穿本地區。
What makes this school worth knowing.
🐂 A Name From the Frontier Line
土牛溝的歷史印記
"Tuniu" refers to Qing-dynasty earthen mounds built to mark the boundary between Han settlement and Indigenous territory, one of Taiwan's most tangible surviving 18th-century frontier markers.
🏗️ Rebuilt in Phases After 921
921地震後分階段重建
The school's campus reconstruction stretched from 1991 to 2003, reflecting the long process of recovery following earthquake damage in the district.
📜 A Century of Local History
超過百年校史
Founded in 1921, Tuniu Elementary has served generations of families in Shigang District's Dajia River valley community.
A living trace of the 18th-century frontier.
"Tuniu" (土牛, "earthen ox") refers to the Qing-dynasty earthen mounds built to mark the boundary between Han settlement and Indigenous territory — one of Taiwan's most concrete surviving traces of the 18th-century frontier line. See the Taichung county page for more on the region.
Find the school.
No. 308, Fengshi Rd., Tuniu Village, Shigang District, Taichung City, Taiwan
臺中市石岡區土牛里豐勢路308號
School's Official Website (Chinese) ↗
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Tuniu Elementary School and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.