A direct thread of Indigenous education history.
Pingdeng Elementary School traces its origins to 1914, when it opened under Japanese colonial rule as "Taichung Prefecture Tōsei District Guyang Indigenous-Children's Education Post" — a facility established specifically to educate Atayal children in the Guyang community. The school has moved sites three times over its history and celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2024–2025, making it one of the most direct living connections to Japanese-era Indigenous education policy in the district.
平等國小創校可追溯至1914年(日治時期),初名「臺中州東勢郡鹿洋社番童教育所」,是一所專門為鹿洋部落泰雅族兒童設立的教育機構。學校歷史上曾三度遷址,並於2024至2025年間慶祝建校110週年,是本地區與日治時期原住民教育政策最直接相連的活歷史見證之一。
What makes this school worth knowing.
🎉 110 Years of History
建校110週年
Founded in 1914, Pingdeng celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2024–2025, marking over a century of continuous education in the Guyang community.
📜 A Direct Link to Indigenous Education History
原住民教育政策的歷史脈絡
The school's original name and mission as a dedicated Atayal-children's education post trace directly back to Japanese-era Indigenous education policy in the region.
🚶 A School That Moved Three Times
歷經三次遷址
Over its more than a century of history, the school has relocated three times, reflecting the changing needs of its mountain community.
Guyang, an Atayal community.
Pingdeng's original name and mission — a dedicated education post for Atayal children in the Guyang community — makes it a direct historical thread of Japanese-era Indigenous education policy in Heping District. See the Taichung county page for more on the region.
Find the school.
No. 35, Ln. 3, Sec. 3, Zhongxing Rd., Huanshan, Heping District, Taichung City, Taiwan
臺中市和平區中興路三段環山3巷35號
School's Official Website (Chinese) ↗
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Pingdeng Elementary School and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.