Built twice by acts of generosity.
Qiaorong Elementary owes its very name and founding to charity: after a devastating 1959 flood, donations from overseas Chinese communities funded the construction of the school, which opened in 1960 (its name literally honors those "overseas Chinese," 僑, donors). Four decades later, the campus was totally destroyed in the 1999 921 earthquake. The Tzu Chi Foundation stepped in to rebuild it, and the reconstructed school reopened in December 2002 — a second act of communal generosity that gave Qiaorong its current campus.
僑榮國小的創校本身即源自於一場善舉:1959年八七水災重創地方後,海外華僑的捐款促成了學校的興建,並於民國49年(1960年)開校,校名中的「僑」字即是為紀念這份華僑善款。四十年後,校舍在1999年九二一大地震中全毀。慈濟基金會隨即出手重建,重建後的校園於民國91年(2002年)12月啟用——這是造就今日僑榮校園的第二次善心義舉。
What makes this school worth knowing.
🌊 Born From Flood Relief
八七水災後的捐建
The school's very name honors the overseas Chinese ("僑") donors whose contributions after the 1959 flood made its founding possible.
🏗️ Rebuilt Again After 921
九二一後再度重建
Totally destroyed in the 1999 earthquake, the school was rebuilt by the Tzu Chi Foundation and reopened in December 2002.
🤝 A Legacy of Communal Rebuilding
兩代人的重建精神
Founded by charity and rebuilt by charity, Qiaorong's history spans two separate moments when outside generosity restored the school for its community.
Disaster and rebuilding in Wufeng.
Founded through overseas Chinese charity after a 1959 flood and later rebuilt after the 921 earthquake, Qiaorong Elementary embodies Wufeng's history of disaster and communal rebuilding. See the Taichung county page for more on the region.
Find the school.
Wufeng District, Taichung City, Taiwan
臺中市霧峰區
School's Official Website (Chinese) ↗
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Qiaorong Elementary School and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.