From a temple hall to a century-old campus.
Xiakeng Elementary School traces its roots to 1922, when it opened as the Xinyuan branch classroom of Dashe Public School (大社公學校新園分教場), initially borrowing space inside the local Fushan Temple (福善宮) rather than a purpose-built schoolhouse. It became fully independent in 1946, after the end of Japanese rule, and has since expanded steadily — adding a kindergarten in 1977, a special-education class in 1992, and a hot-lunch program in 1981.
下坑國小可追溯至1922年(日治時期),創校之初為「大社公學校新園分教場」,最初借用當地福善宮的廟埕空間上課,而非專屬校舍。1946年(戰後)正式獨立設校,其後穩定發展——1977年增設幼兒園、1992年設立特教班、1981年開辦營養午餐。
What makes this school worth knowing.
🏮 Born Inside a Village Temple
誕生於庄廟
Xiakeng opened in 1922 borrowing space inside Fushan Temple, before becoming a fully independent school in 1946.
🍱 A Century of Steady Growth
穩定成長逾百年
The school added a kindergarten in 1977, a special-education class in 1992, and a hot-lunch program in 1981.
🕰️ Over a Century of History
逾百年校史
Founded in 1922, Xiakeng Elementary has now served its village community for more than a century.
When the temple was the schoolhouse.
Xiakeng's origin story — literally starting inside a temple hall — reflects how rural Lujhu communities relied on local temples such as Fushan Temple as civic and educational anchors before formal school buildings existed. See the Kaohsiung county page for more on the region.
Find the school.
No. 384, Taiping Rd., Xiakeng Village, Lujhu District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
高雄市路竹區下坑里太平路384號
School's Official Website (Chinese) ↗
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Xiakeng Elementary School and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.