From temple classrooms to a school family tree.
Wenxian Elementary began in 1920, holding its first classes in the local Cihji Temple, before becoming independent on April 1, 1922, as Hunei Village's Third Public School. The school marked its centennial with alumni reunions, and over the decades served as the "mother school" for two neighboring elementary schools — Sanhou Elementary, which split off in 1965, and Haipu Elementary, in 1955.
文賢國小創立於1920年(日治時期),最初借用當地慈濟宮作為教室上課,於民國11年(1922年)4月1日獨立設校,定名「湖內庄第三公學校」。學校曾舉辦建校百週年校友返校活動,並在其後數十年間先後分校出三侯國小(1965年)與海埔國小(1955年),成為兩校的「母校」。
What makes this school worth knowing.
⛩️ Classes That Began in a Temple
借用慈濟宮上課
Wenxian's earliest classes were held inside the local Cihji Temple, reflecting how early Taiwanese public education under Japanese rule often relied on existing community religious buildings.
🌳 Mother School to Two Neighbors
分校出兩所國小
Both Sanhou Elementary (1965) and Haipu Elementary (1955) trace their roots to Wenxian, making it the root of a small family of Hunei District schools.
🎓 A Century of Alumni
百年校友歡聚
The school's centennial celebration brought generations of alumni back together, honoring a century of continuous education in the community.
Where schooling met the temple.
Wenxian's founding in the local Cihji Temple reflects how early Taiwanese public education under Japanese rule often piggybacked on existing community religious infrastructure. See the Kaohsiung county page for more on the region.
Find the school.
No. 39, Sec. 2, Zhongzheng Rd., Zhongxian Village, Hunei District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
高雄市湖內區中賢里中正路二段39號
School's Official Website (Chinese) ↗
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Wenxian Elementary and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.