Built on shrine ground, for a sugar refinery's children.
Annei Elementary was built shortly after Taiwan's retrocession, around 1945–46, when Taiwan Sugar Corporation demolished a Japanese Shinto shrine — originally built when the nearby "New Annei" hamlet was forcibly relocated to make way for the shrine and refinery housing — and repurposed the site to educate the children of its employees. The school was first called "Private Taiwan Sugar 5th Elementary School," then went through several administrative names before opening with four classes, later expanding to six and adding a kindergarten class in 1953. As of a recent news report, the school was preparing an 80th-anniversary celebration with a "mobile museum" exhibit, consistent with a mid-1940s founding. The school's principal was historically held concurrently by the director of the adjacent Annei Sugar Refinery, originally founded in 1903 by Tainan sugar merchant Wang Xuenong.
岸內國小創立於臺灣光復後不久,約民國34至35年(1945–1946年),由台灣糖業公司拆除當地日本神社(該神社原是強遷「新岸內」聚落而興建,用地後來也用於興建糖廠員工宿舍)後改建而成,目的是為員工子女提供教育。學校最初名為「私立台糖第五小學」,之後歷經數次改制更名,設校時僅4班,後擴增至6班,並於民國42年(1953年)增設幼兒園班。根據近期新聞報導,學校正籌備80週年校慶,規劃「移動博物館」展覽,與創校於1940年代中期的推算相符。學校校長職務過去曾由鄰近岸內糖廠(原鹽水港製糖株式會社,1903年由臺南糖商王雪農創立)廠長兼任。
What makes this school worth knowing.
⛩️ Surviving Shrine Relics
神社遺跡
The campus still preserves original shrine relics, including the stone approach path (參道) and pairs of guardian lion-dog statues (狛犬), rare survivals on a working school campus.
🚪 A Shrine Gate Turned School Gate
鳥居變校門
The shrine's former main hall was converted into school offices and classrooms, and its front torii gate structure became the school's own main gate.
🏭 Born of the Sugar Refinery
糖廠子弟學校
Founded to educate the children of Taiwan Sugar Corporation employees, the school's principal was historically held concurrently by the director of the adjacent Annei Sugar Refinery.
🎊 Nearing an 80th Anniversary
籌備80週年校慶
The school has been preparing an 80th-anniversary celebration featuring a "mobile museum" exhibit tracing its unusual origins.
A living relic of Yanshui's sugar age.
Annei Elementary is a living relic of Yanshui's Japanese-era sugar industry — the refinery that gave the school its name was one of Taiwan's major sugar mills before it closed in 1997 and was later repurposed as a film production base. The shrine ruins scattered across the school's grounds, still watched over by their stone guardian lion-dogs, are a rare and tangible trace of the colonial-era company town that once stood here, standing alongside the district's better-known old-town streets and its annual Beehive Fireworks Festival.
Find the school.
No. 96, New Annei, Annei Village, Yanshui District, Tainan City 737, Taiwan
737 台南市鹽水區岸內里新岸內96號
School's Official Website (Chinese, schoolweb.tn.edu.tw mirror) ↗
Note: We could not confirm a clean, independently hosted root domain for this school; the link above goes to its official schoolweb.tn.edu.tw mirror site.
Last updated: July 2026 · Content adapted and condensed from the school's official Chinese-language website by the Taiwan Bilingual Hub team, not yet reviewed by the school. If you're from Annei Elementary School and would like to correct or expand this page, please contact us.